Science Council 12th Open Meeting (8 December 2022)
On this pageSkip the menu of subheadings on this page.
- The Chair presented a summary of her activity over the last 6 months.
- The FSA led a discussion of the FSA Science Update 2022 (FSA 22/12/07) to the FSA Board.
- The CSA updated the Council on his recent activity and discussions (including Government Office of Science’s review of SACs, changing FSA priorities this year, the Precision Breeding Bill).
Draft minutes of the 12th Science Council open meeting public session which will be fully adopted at the 13th Science Council open meeting.
Updates from Science Council members attending Scientific Advisory Committees (SACs) and a proposed streamlining of members’ engagement
Attendance at this open meeting
Members of the public are welcome to attend Science Council open meetings as observers and should send a request to the Science Council secretariat (at the e-mail address below) if they would like to attend. Any requests to attend this meeting should be received before 12 noon on Monday 5 December 2022. Please note that space for observers is limited so we may not be able to accommodate everyone who wants to attend.
Questions to the Science Council
Members of the public are also invited to send in any questions they have for the Science Council on the topics under discussion at the 12th open meeting. Please send any questions to the Science Council secretariat at the e-mail address below by 11:59pm on Tuesday 6 December 2022. The Science Council will try to answer your questions at the meeting, but if we are unable to do this, we will try to provide a written response within 20 working days.
While questions about the activities of the Science Council are welcomed, the Science Council cannot answer questions on the FSA or FSA policy in general.
Please note that the Science Council (as well as the Advisory Committee on Social Science) is currently the subject of a review. This review provides assurances to the FSA that the Science Council continues to be appropriate in addressing the future needs of the FSA, consumers and wider government, and that it is operating effectively and efficiently. The Science Council remains active during this review and will continue to provide strategic advice to the FSA. As such the next open meeting of Science Council will be in September next year (2023).
Science Council Secretariat contact
Clive House, 70 Petty France, London SW1H 9EX
9:45-10:00 Arrival and registration of audience
1. (10:00-10:10) Welcome and Introduction (Sandy Thomas)
2. (10:10-10:25) FSA Science update (Adam Cook)
• Discussion of FSA Annual Science Report to the Board
3. (10:25-10:40) Chief Scientific Advisor Update (Robin May)
4. (10:40-10:55) Other Scientific Advisory Committees (SACs) (Sandy Thomas)
5. (10:55-11:05) AoB
6. (11:05-11:15) Public Questions
7. (11:15-11:20) Close public session