9th Open Meeting - 10th June 2021
Last updated: 02 August 2021
On this pageSkip the menu of subheadings on this page.
Summary of the meeting
- The Chair presented a summary of the last 6 month’s Science Council activity.
- Members agreed the principles and guidelines and final report for the critical review of the appraisal of third-party evidence.
- Update provided on FSA activity since last year’s Council recommendations on data usage & digital technology. Further Council engagement is being considered.
- The CSA updated the Council on his recent activity and discussions (including gene editing, labelling reform, genomic surveillance, and net zero carbon).
- A discussion of the recommendations from the Council’s review of food hypersensitivity, FSA current activity and future plans, and lessons learnt.
- Updates from Science Council members attending Scientific Advisory Committees (SACs).
Draft minute of the 9th Science Council open meeting public session (to be finalised at the 10th Science Council open meeting in December 2021):
Agenda and papers
Update: Working Group 5 update slides added post-meeting (28/6/21).
10:00 (Item 1) Welcome and introduction (Sandy Thomas)
Reminder of open meeting rules and declaration of interests.
10:10 (Item 2) Minutes of 8th Council meeting and actions (Sandy Thomas)
Secretariat reports progress on actions from the 8th open meeting.
10:20 (Item 3) Science Council Chair’s report (Sandy Thomas)
Meetings and activity since the 8th open meeting.
10:35 (Item 4) FSA Science Update (Adam Cook)
Update on Science, Evidence and Research Division (SERD) activity.
10:55 (Item 5) Rapid Evidence Review: Critical Review of the appraisal of third-party evidence (Peter Gregory)
Members confirm agreement to draft final report and principles & guidelines. [The draft report and principles & guidelines themselves are in draft and will be published once finalised following discussion by Science Council, no later than the week commencing 21 June].
FSA next steps.
11:20 (Item 6) Working Group 4 (WG4) review on data usage and digital technology: Post review update from FSA (Julie Pierce)
An update from the FSA on how WG4 recommendations have been used over the last 12 months.
11:35 Coffee Break
11:45 (Item 7) Chief Scientific Advisor’s update (Robin May)
High Level FSA Activities.
12:00 (Item 8) Working Group 5: Food Hypersensitivity Review (Paul Turner)
Summary of recommendations and wrap-up from the Working Group Chair.
FSA next steps.
12:25 (Item 9) Update on FSA Scientific Advisory Committees (Sandy Thomas)
- Verbal update on participation of Science Council members in other Scientific Advisory Committees meetings since the 8th open meeting.
12:40 (Item 10) Wrap up and close session (Sandy Thomas)
12:45 (Item 11) Questions and comments from the public (Sandy Thomas)
12:55 End of the meeting
- Sandy Thomas - Council Chair
- John O’Brien - Council Member
- Paul Turner - Council Member
- Patrick Wolfe - Council Member
- Sarah O’Brien - Council Member
- Claire Nicholson - Council Member
- Peter Gregory - Council Member
Food Standards Agency
- Robin May - FSA Chief Scientific Adviser (CSA)
- Emily Miles - FSA Chief Executive
- Julie Pierce – FSA Director of Openness, Data & Digital, Wales and Science
- Adam Cook - Head of Science Strategy, Capability and Research
- Chun-Han Chan - Science Council Secretary
- Paul A Nunn - Science Council Secretariat Lead
- Autumn Pugh - CSA Private Secretary
- Manisha Hartigan - Science Council Secretariat
- Ben Goodall - Research Co-ordination and Partnerships Lead