9th Open Meeting - 10th June 2021
Last updated: 04 June 2021
On this pageSkip this menu
In line with government guidance, due to the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, the Science Council secretariat is unable to invite people to attend the open Science Council meeting ‘in person’. This meeting will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams with minutes and papers of the open meeting published on the Science Council website.
Members of the public are invited to send in any questions they have for the Science Council on the topics under discussion at this upcoming open meeting. Please send them to email@example.com before midday on 9 June 2021.
We will try to answer your questions at the meeting, but if we are unable to do this, we’ll try to provide a written response before the next Science Council meeting.
While questions about the activities of the Science Council are welcomed, the Science Council cannot answer questions on the FSA or FSA policy in general.
Agenda and papers
Note the agenda may be subject to change at short notice.
10:00 (Item 1) Welcome and introduction (Sandy Thomas)
Reminder of open meeting rules and declaration of interests.
10:10 (Item 2) Minutes of 8th Council meeting and actions (Sandy Thomas)
Secretariat reports progress on actions from the 8th open meeting.
10:20 (Item 3) Science Council Chair’s report (Sandy Thomas)
Meetings and activity since the 8th open meeting.
10:35 (Item 4) FSA Science Update (Adam Cook)
Update on Science, Evidence and Research Division (SERD) activity.
10:55 (Item 5) Rapid Evidence Review: Critical Review of the appraisal of third-party evidence (Peter Gregory)
Members confirm agreement to draft final report and principles & guidelines. [The draft report and principles & guidelines themselves are in draft and will be published once finalised following discussion by Science Council, no later than the week commencing 21 June].
FSA next steps.
11:20 (Item 6) Working Group 4 (WG4) review on data usage and digital technology: Post review update from FSA (Julie Pierce)
An update from the FSA on how WG4 recommendations have been used over the last 12 months.
11:35 Coffee Break
11:45 (Item 7) Chief Scientific Advisor’s update (Robin May)
High Level FSA Activities.
12:00 (Item 8) Working Group 5: Food Hypersensitivity Review (Paul Turner)
Summary of recommendations and wrap-up from the Working Group Chair.
FSA next steps.
12:25 (Item 9) Update on FSA Scientific Advisory Committees (Sandy Thomas)
- Verbal update on participation of Science Council members in other Scientific Advisory Committees meetings since the 8th open meeting.
12:40 (Item 10) Wrap up and close session (Sandy Thomas)
12:45 (Item 11) Questions and comments from the public (Sandy Thomas)
12:55 End of the meeting
- Sandy Thomas - Council Chair
- John O’Brien - Council Member
- Paul Turner - Council Member
- Patrick Wolfe - Council Member
- Sarah O’Brien - Council Member
- Claire Nicholson - Council Member
- Peter Gregory - Council Member
Food Standards Agency
- Robin May - FSA Chief Scientific Adviser (CSA)
- Emily Miles - FSA Chief Executive
- Julie Pierce – FSA Director of Openness, Data & Digital, Wales and Science
- Adam Cook - Head of Science Strategy, Capability and Research
- Chun-Han Chan - Science Council Secretary
- Paul A Nunn - Science Council Secretariat Lead
- Autumn Pugh - CSA Private Secretary
- Manisha Hartigan - Science Council Secretariat
- Ben Goodall - Research Co-ordination and Partnerships Lead